Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Multiple Challenges of My Own

On Monday I got a call to teach ESL until June! Too bad I don't speak Spanish! Monday and Tuesday I got calls after 10am to teach a class for "diversely multiply challenged." I was trying to figure out what that meant. Tuesday I took the job and found out.


I got the call at 10:30 for a job that was supposed to start at 9! I immediately called the school to confirm they still wanted me to come. They did. So I got down there and saw several students in wheelchairs. In the office the receptionist told me Sorry, the job was canceled! :( But I took the opportunity to ask her about the school for next time. She classified the students as "profoundly" retarded/challenged. She said there will be lots of lifting and diaper changing! Good to know!


So I didn't work but now I know more about that school. I've done some research on the schools, so I know a little better what I'm getting into. Finding out some of the Unknown relieves some of my anxiety about taking a job. The good thing about the special schools is there are paraprofessionals to help (like on my first day) and the student: teacher ratio is usually 6:1! It's more like 20+:1 in the regular schools.


Anyway, I came up with some motivational statements for myself. When the phone rings, I have to remember: "Pressing 1 [to accept a job assignment] is the hardest part of the day." It all gets easier from there! So that's what I named the daily 7:45 alarm on my phone. Then, once I'm dressed and make it out the door, the rest of the day is a piece of cake! I'm going to make a sign to remind me of that and put it in the car or maybe on my bedroom door.


For me, it's true. Waiting for the calls, getting the calls and deciding on whether to take them or not is the most anxious part of the day. Once I press one, I just have to Go & Do It! Getting ready is also a struggle for me. What to wear, what to bring, avoiding getting on the computer to "research" the school and getting stuck on the computer.... Once I'm in the car, my work is done. Driving is fun. I usually get some traffic but thanks to the radio I have fun the whole way! Then once I get to the school, I just do what they tell me to do. And no matter how it goes, I know that by 3 o'clock it will be over.


I feel like once I'm in the car it's out of my hands. Before I get in the car, it's all up to me. So that's the most stressful part of the day. Hopefully my new mottos will help me push through the relatively short stressful period and get on with my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment